CT 2002 Law Requiring Payment for College

Will Divorced Parents have any Money Left for College?In July, 2002, Public Act 02-128, an Act concerning Educational Support Orders, was signed into law in Connecticut. The Court may require a parent to pay for any necessary educational expense at a college or vocational school, including room, board, dues, tuition, fees, registration and application costs. Such expenses shall not be more than the amount charged by The University of Connecticut for a full-time in-state student. But, the decision about Educational Support Orders must be made at the time of dissolution; often, this is 10 to 17 years before the child would attend College.By raising the stakes in divorce battles, this bill continues the escalation of legal violence that has been terribly detrimental to the children of divorce. The Act intensifies the battle over custody and support at the time when the parties most need to work together to raise their young children. Thus, Connecticut has taken another step that enriches divorce lawyers and impoverishes the children of divorce.For more information about educational support orders, go to: Facts Supports Orders.